H-1B Visa


The H-1B allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. The regulations define a “specialty occupation” as requiring analytical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a field of human endeavor.

  • These fields include, but not limited to, architecture, business specialties, biotechnology, engineering, mathematics, medicine and health, physical sciences, social sciences, education, law, accounting, theology, and the arts.
  • The foreign worker must possess at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent as well as any applicable licenses or permits for the profession in which the individual seeks to work.
  • H-1B work-authorization is strictly limited to employment by the sponsoring employer.

If a foreign worker in H-1B status quits or is dismissed from the sponsoring employer, the worker can apply for a change of status to another non-immigrant status or, alternatively, find another employer willing to sponsor him/her.

Immigration law can be complex, and you may not be familiar with all of your immigration options. The Normandy Law Group has attorneys and lawyers in major metropolitan areas in the US and across the globe.

Our job is to ensure that you will be in the best position to make decisions about your immigration. Call our toll free number (877) 670-5744 or email us for a free consultation.